Model Behavior





As I may have mentioned, my son, 14, aspires to be a professional model. Which is fine. Really, I say go for it, 14. Follow your dreams. Granted, I can't bring myself to actually help in the conventional sense, by doing things like taking him to auditions or whatever aspiring models do, but I have encouraged him, in my own way, by urging him to hang out regularly at malls. (Word is, you can get "discovered" that way.) So far, no luck, but I say, keep hitting those malls.
At some point in the past year, 14 decided that my way wasn't working and that he needed to try something new. It was around that time that someone planted the idea in 14's head that, if he really and truly wanted to be a model, he would need to begin assembling a portfolio. As you can see, 14 has taken this advice to heart. He has since been rendered incapable of passing up any opportunity to snap photos of himself. On the computer, on the camera, on the cell phone . . . no device is safe from 14's portfolio-assembling obsession. I am not even joking when I say, if you leave 14 alone for an hour with any sort of electronic device capable of making photographic reproductions, you will assuredly wind up with 50-75 pictures of 14.
As for the above photos, they all appear on 14's MySpace homepage, which is sort of an homage to 14's modeling aspirations. His entire homepage is filled with pictures of 14 in various modeling poses, in different outfits, from different angles, which I suspect he believes a talent scout will undoubtedly discover. And in case anyone was confused about his feelings about his own appearance, he has also humbly captioned his MySpace homepage "I'm Not Conceited, I'm Just Being Honest." (Only he has it spelled "conceded" instead of "conceited," which sort of ruins the effect.) Not that there's anything wrong with 14's homepage. In fact, I believe Narcissus had the same problem . . . and that guy's a god.

Anyway, I would hate to be accused of being the kind of dad who has interfered with his son's modeling dreams. Even though it's true. I'm just saying I don't want to be accused of it. The accusing I'm getting totally sick of. So, in an effort to redeem myself and get some desperately-needed online modeling exposure for the poor boy, I have reproduced all of his photos here. Now who's standing in the way of 14's modeling career, huh?


6 Comments:
I think it is pretty impressive that 14 has a homepage. I suggest that you nurture 14s desire to become a model. Most of the best models work pretty hard. At the very least, 14 will be engaged in constructive work during his pursuit. Besides, vanity can give one an advantage if they are in the right crowd.
Send me this kid's info. He's got a nice portfolio. I'm definitely interested.
Maybe he'll end up being a photographer. Get him into some photography classes!
Interesting idea, Mamadala. A photographer who only takes self-portraits. Sounds a lot like the famous American artist, Chuck Close. That could be my boy!
Anyway, as if to prove the point I was making in this post, while 14 and I were mini-golfing today, he borrowed my cell phone (since his has been temporarily confiscated) and surreptitiously snapped a photo of himself, which he then e-mailed to his account. It's an addiction, definitely.
Hey, Mr. Bigtime Modeling Scout, I showed this post to 14 and he was particularly intrigued by your comment. He would like to know a few things: 1) Who have you represented? 2) Are you seriously interested in signing 14? 3) What additional information do you need from 14? He would like you to contact me to explore this further.
"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning
...on the other hand, maybe he will make it? Having a goal is a good thing, right?
Post a Comment
<< Home