The "McGee Method"
Maybe you've heard the story of a football player named Max McGee. In the very first Super Bowl, way back in 1967, the thirty-five year old McGee was winding down a great career as a wide receiver with the Green Bay Packers. Because McGee did not expect to play in the game, he snuck out of the team hotel and spent the night before the Super Bowl on the town, drinking and carousing, barely making it back to the hotel before the team bus left for the big game. Of course, on the opening drive, the starting receiver for the Packers got injured and McGee, who hadn’t even brought his helmet with him to the stadium, was thrust into the game and ended up scoring two touchdowns and was named the first-ever Super Bowl MVP. McGee proved that, despite what conventional wisdom might tell you, it IS possible to party all night and still have great athletic success.Which, of course, brings me to 16. As I recounted in a post from last fall, 16 pulled his own Max McGee during football season, failing to return home at all the night before the big Homecoming game, yet (despite being turned in to the coach by your faithful blog-correspondent) still playing in the game and catching a touchdown pass. Sleep? Overrated. The "McGee method" demanded that sleep be eliminated in the pursuit of athletic greatness.
It took a few months, but 16 finally found an opportunity to test out whether the "McGee method" worked for basketball, as well. On the Wednesday through Friday after Christmas, 16's high-school basketball team was playing in a holiday tournament. Presumably, 16 decided that, if he was going to employ McGee's decidedly controversial pregame training-technique, he would need to do it at a time when it would have maximum impact. So 16 held back, waiting until the night before the last tournament game. Undoubtedly, he planned things out very carefully. 16 would have it no other way. He was employing this method solely for the good of the team, after all. As soon as Jill and I went to sleep Thursday night, 16 packed his bag and slipped out of the house. I'm sure he didn't want to do it, but he obviously felt it was the only way to achieve athletic success. So 16 went to a party Thursday night and he never came back. Until Friday morning, that is, two hours before he needed to board the bus for the final tournament game. Talk about dedication to the "McGee method"!
While 16 did not, technically, offer up the excuse, when he returned, that he was employing the controversial "McGee method," he had to assume that we would know that's what was going on. Because 16 had shown such dedication to it, should it really be any surprise that 16's technique was such a smashing success? Obviously, 16 had a monster game in the tournament finale on Friday. He scored 26 points and was named to the all-tournament team. Here he is going up for a dunk that comprised his final two points of the game. The moral: hard work pays off.


10 Comments:
Oh boy, we have so much to look forward to. Good luck - this seems like a pretty tricky situation.
There's humor there. I know you can see it. Rather than the "McGee Method," maybe it needs to be renamed to the "16 o'scheme." :)
Sandy.
I used the same exact method when taking the SATs, but didn't know the key step of checking in at home prior to boarding the bus. Probably explains the failure of the method to work for me.
Sure gave my parents a story to tell about meeting me in the parking lot at the school that morning.
Do you ever discipline the boy?
Good question, anonymous, and I can see why you would think that, based on this blog. But to answer your question, yes, we do discipline 16. The truth is, it sometimes seems that ALL WE EVER DO is discipline him. 16 is pretty much ALWAYS on discipline of one sort or another. He is disciplined so much, and so often, that it actually seems to lose its effectiveness. He figures "I'm already in trouble (for some transgression or another) so what does (doing this new thing) matter." Then we have a whole new set of problems. As you can see, our near-constant disciplining of 16 for the past nine years has been extremely effective.
When disciplining, sometimes I wonder if we're disciplining the child or just punishing ourselves. Often times, it seems the latter.
Caught in a vicious circle of perpetual discipline for many years, I wish I could say it was effective. Yeah, probably about as effective as me beating my head repeatedly against the wall. What do I have to show for it? A headache. A big ass headache. (Oops, can I say that on your blog?) Good thing I have seven more shots at it. Odds are in my favor that I'll get it right eventually.
Parenting can be such a challenge, especially when the genetic cards are sometimes stacked against you. It's just not always as easy as the manual makes it seem. "Just love them and hug them and everything will turn out fine." Yeah right.
You continue to do what you and J think is right. You know your boys and what is best for them. And that humor will get you through, even when the discipline won't.
While I know it doesn't feel like it sometimes, but whatever you are doing is likely working. Compare 16 to helf brother. If not for you and Jill, 16 would likely have had similar experiences. He probably would have dropped out of school already and would have had at least some juvenile court experience. "Success" is always relative. It's just difficult for those of us with a very different world view to appreciate sometimes.
Hm. I've tried the McGee Method and found it to be total crap. I was never able to dunk a basketball after my all-night party binges. Lucky!
I think part of what bright kids do is try and figure out a way around the system... it's getting them to realize that in the long run, you sort of have to play by some of the rules...
Happy New Year!
I saw Max McGees house on Lake Mtka. when it was on the market a couple of years ago. Definitely a party house!!
Post a Comment
<< Home